Thursday, October 25, 2007

Little space. Big Heart.

Every afternoon in the summer vacation, I would take a nap. My grandmother would draw the curtains to stop the sunlight from coming into the room..

She would switch on the fan. The fan always made a chugging noise. It was old and tired but it spent its life providing the most incredible service.

The room was a small one. It had one television that magically played cartoons that I loved. The magician was my grandfather.

And the room had wonderful books. You could smell them in the air. Knowledge embraced the very essence of it.

A little bed lay in the other corner, where my grandfather read the newspaper. He smiled at me as he heard the gurgle in my laughter, and then watched my dreams unfold.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww those wonderful old days in the company of grandparents!!!

Kits said...

I love ya and u write so bootifully baby :D

Pravin said...

This was indescribable :)

Very sweet. I want to write like this :|

P said...

Those were the days, yeah? (Or is it too early to say that? :P)

Took me back to those lazy summers I spent at my Aji's :)

Brown Weed said...

yes, that was beautiful. You paint! a touch here, and a touch there - grandma, the sound, smells, dream - very beautiful!

i got happier and happier while reading.

soulasylum said...

@ ashu - wonderful days they were! They inspire you to write and feel like a child forever:)

@ kits - ((hug))

@ pravin - you DO write like this! :)

@ praj - hehe. it is a lil' early to say that, but can't help but feel old old old in this world that teaches us so many lessons everyday.

@ fuzz - thank you :) be happy happy :)

Sheece said...

hey girl... came back from goa today ad hence didn't reply earlier.

this girl that u talk about is very sweet, every grand parent who would read that will feel happy about the little tree that they planted is not giving fruits.

thank you for sharing.

Spikedelik said...

Man...I didn't read that...I saw it happen! Very vivid...very beautiful!

And yeah...look wat a beautiful cartoon...you have grown into:P!!!

Jokes apart...we are all very proud of ya...Us n Them :D!