Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Why I Sing The Blues


He took his cane. And tried to climb uphill. His tired legs searched for a stop. His leather jacket had many stories to tell. His army boots had made many stops. And aged much like him.
With incredible grace. His long hair looked like it kept, Braided in it, several verse and song
He looked like an old Vedder...

I was getting back from work, late this evening, with a million things on my mind. And as I hurried along the sidewalk, I was forced to slow down because of this man. He looked like a former rock n roller :) He would stop every few steps, to catch his breath. I slowed down my pace behind him, thinking it would be too rude to pass him and didn't want to get too close or he may have felt pressurized to walk faster. So here I am, with my psycho-analysis, when he just stopped all of a sudden. And exclaimed, "God I just want to get home, please let me get home."

Frightened by how frail and faint he sounded I ran up to him and asked if he was ok. I was amazed at how strong and frail this man looked, all at once. He said, "My dear, could you walk with me till my house? I just want to get home. I was downtown, shootin' some pool, you know...with some old buddies o' mine. I didn't realise how difficult this climb uphill was"

I accompanied him to his house and he held my hand by the door. He said "You're a sweetheart. I have something for you."

A million eerie * shudder * thoughts ran through my head, and I thought "oh my god, why did I do this, mom was right I should never talk to strangers, oh my god, is he going to do something terribly disturbing to me, like maybe kill me? I think I can take him on, he seems frail", blah blah blah. And I could hear his voice in constant conversation with me "You know, I was born in this house? I came back here, after 6 decades..."

He came back to the door (where I ACTUALLY waited diligently) and gave me a Cd. He said "This man, this man changed my life...and we share the same name. His music will teach you several lessons for life. This is for you, take this...listen. I think you will love it."

I thanked him profusely, and strode back home, much happier than I was when I left work. Doped, dazed, or just old, I have a feeling Mr. B. B. King is going to be my friend :D

7 comments:

Kits said...

OMG! I got goosebumps! :)) Fucking awesome things happen to u wonly..some karma u did or wot in your previous life u nonsense child! Hahaah....

Loves it I do :D

Spikedelik said...

If anything at all... you just experienced love, respect, gratitude and all the goods one person can ever wish for another, in its most fundamental and universal expression - Music :)

I am so very proud to be your friend. :)

Sujeet Kuchibhotla said...

Like I told you...you almost make me want to believe that "Life is beautiful"!

A Arora said...

i think i used to glance here once in a while..did that today after a long time...and felt like i was reading myself..funny how we are all the same in some way or the other...

Brown Weed said...

wow! what a story!!

soulasylum said...

Thanks guys for your wonderful comments. I really do believe I lead some kind of charmed life :)

vaidya said...

Am one of many anonymous readers who stopped by and got hooked...
Just wanted to say, love the way you write!

I guess you love watching, and get charmed by, people going about their 'mundane' lives...