Saturday, September 01, 2007

New leaf, old stem

I always wondered, do we ever go through certain experiences that fundamentally change us forever? I know we change over time, we adapt to become more cynical, or so it seems. But are there certain experiences in particular that we go through and think "life will never be the same again"

"If you saw the face of God and loved
Would you change? "
- Tracy Chapman

I think back at my life. At the airport. Saying good bye to my parents and friends. Yes that was one such experience. It was not even the initial good-bye. I never accepted the fact that I was leaving my country till I went into the airport lounge. Prior to that I bade a tearful farewell to four people I loved dearly. I went in checked in my luggage and was told to proceed toward the security check. But I just had to see my parents again. So I ran back to the entrance and tried to get out. But the cop stopped me, and said nothing doing. I begged him and said I just want to see my parents, I dont know when I'll see them again. and there she was, my mom, calling my name out loud. One look, that's all I got. And she made a 'thumbs-up' sign at me, through her tears. I turned around and went back in and looked to the side to see my dad through the glass door. I took his blessings and walked away.

That was it. Life changed right then and there. In that one second. Even now when I feel incredibly pressured and burdened, I close my eyes and watch them.

It seems like if I could survive that, I could survive ... almost anything.

7 comments:

Kits said...

Hugggg...Hope tht is me u r talking abt n not Manoj :P

soulasylum said...

babe..of course it was you:) (((hugg))) love you. thank you for being there:)

Unknown said...

There are indeed some things that entirely changed ur life!!!
But changes become a part of life as soon as we accept them!!! so go ahead and embrace the change....and deres something dat i wanna add..distances never ever change the bond u share with ur near and dear ones...distance only makes u even more closer.!

Anonymous said...

Incredible !! Would like to read it 5 times before giving a review..You have actually put me in read-it-time-and-again kind of situation

soulasylum said...

@Akanksha you are absolutely right! That one moment made me stranger than ever, but it also made my relationship with my parents stronger than ever:)

@TSM (I hope its ok I shortened your name:) Thank you so much for reading my posts. Lol yesyes, i will await your review.

Anonymous said...

A very sensual description of the start of a metamorphosizing experience.Language is simple and hence perefct~~ no big n heavy words.Continuity (yet again i mention this thing) is what makes your post look one single entity rather than a heap of sentences.I am not much into reading blogs n all but probably one of the best reads I ever had..Good work ! And I do not mind short names~~ only when the letters are in correct order (STM,as i am able to comprehend)

soulasylum said...

Oops..was concentrating more on the T and S in the 'TatSat' it was always written as separate in my sanskrit book:O Sorry! Ok STM is perfect. Thanks again for your kind words!:)