Thursday, June 07, 2007

A man named Jim

Jim Purrington sits next to me at work. He is an amazing man. I really admire and respect him. He has travelled the world and has a son who is working in the Swiss Bank and a daughter who is a doctor in Istanbul. Jim and I talk about everything under the sun, from religion to physics to skype and governments. We also talk tennis from time to time. Jim is the ranking coordinator for my section of the US Tennis Association.

Jim is a workaholic. "I love what I do" he said to me today. I was thinking in my head, I wish I could say the same thing when I am 60:) He talks to himself when he works too. Very amusing sometimes. He works so much that he forgets to eat.

Today after much persuation and almost a tantrum throwing from me, he got up picked up his lunch bag and went to eat. He did not return for quite a while. And I began to wonder if I overdid it.

Jim returned an hour later. He came upto me and said "I have a mother, 3 sisters, a wife and a daughter, but you are worse than all of them put together". I began to apologize when he handed me a bunch of wild flowers he picked on a walk outside the office. "Thank- you for being you" he said:)

3 comments:

Brown Weed said...

words that make one go mmmmmm & smile

:-)

Sheece said...

wow what a wonderful man! yes and i must also say it, it's long overdue - "Thank you for being you!"

Spikedelik said...

I second Sheece n Jim! Remember wat I sed about the kiwi! I meant it from the bottom of my heart...